Friday 22 July 2005

The other side

There is so much truth in the saying “what goes around comes around.” Never was it true as it is now for my life!!

I have been educated in one of the famous all girls in Delhi. I was a fairly good student. Though not exactly the teachers pet. Never could be! I was one of those students who could never sit still and always asking questions. At times disrupting the class. My hand was up even before our teacher asked any questions. I was scolded most of the times for my antics but it did not affect me at all. But I was never rude, not at that stage! My dad was not aware of my doings till I was in the 12th STD!

I did very well in my 10th board. Was forced to take up science. Wish I had not done so well! I had wanted to take up humanities but dad insisted I take science! So here I was studying Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and English. I was only interested in my English and Mathematics classes! (Now I am thankful to my dad though. I am deeply interested in the Physical sciences!)

To cut a long story short, we had a very boring Physics teacher. He used to talk nonsense and never encouraged any questions in class. Pretty difficult for me. I found a perfect solution.

Right in front of him, I used to take out a Mills and Boon romance and my lunch box. So here I was busy reading and munching my food nonchalantly! For a few days I did not get caught but for how long? When he did see me, I was thrown out of my class. My dad was called. He couldn’t believe I could do this. Needless to say, my dad was angry with me. He stopped talking to me for a couple of weeks. I was not sorry for what I had done but I sure did not like my dad going silent on me! Very painful 15 days. But he came around eventually.

But did I change? No. Only thing, I became a backbencher and got on with my novels and food! But in retrospect I think my teacher let my by.

Now that I am a teacher, it has come a full circle! I have to deal with precocious kids, though not bad as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment